Friday, February 29, 2008



THE GREAT HOPE-A-DOPE HYPE



Man, just when I thought I couldn’t take any more "change" talk from Osama Barack, now he won’t shut up about "hope".

Is this guy a politician or a broken record? He’s got more double talk and empty speeches than... well... A wrassler.

In fact, as I think about it, that’s who Osama reminds me of- a smack talking wrestler, but without the yelling. Or maybe a boxer. And this train of thought led me to the great Muhammed Ali.

Here was a guy who talked some smack, but did so calmly and quietly, without a lot of rage. Ali was all class.

So now I’m confused. All this time I thought Osama was channeling his inner John Kerry- he uses the same gestures as Kerry when speaking. (Funny, I was always taught NOT to talk with my hands). But now I’m starting to see his inner stinging- butterfly coming out. Yep, there it is, Osama is ripping off Ali.

Think about- Ali protested the war in Vietnam by throwing his Olympic medal into the Ohio River. Quiet defiance. Osama likes to not put his hand over his heart during the national anthem. Again, quiet defiance.

Ali is famous for his rope-a-dope- a strategy of laying back and waiting for an attack, so as to conserve energy. In other words, Ali let the other guy do the fighting, then finished up.

Osama’s doing the same thing- he’s spewing out his constant rhetoric about "Change" and "Hope" without really saying much of anything. Meanwhile, Hellary and Haircut Edwards went out and worked it, talking about what they would do, what their policies were... sounding just like politicians. People are tired of hearing empty promises. Nobody believes ANY politician when they say they’re going to do this or that.

And therein lies the genius of the hope-a-dope. Osama’s just spewing out nonsense, totally unrelated to the issue at hand. He’s droning on, just to let people hear him talk. And of course, in our starry-eyed, celebrity-worshipping society, talk like that is working. Since Osama isn’t talking politics, people like to listen to him.

But I got news for Osama- He’s no Muhammed Ali.

John McCain said it best- "I will fight every moment of every day to make sure Americans are not deceived by an eloquent but empty call for change."

That’s right Osama, McCain may not be the Rock, but he can smell what you’re cookin.
ADDENDUM: I really should have researched this better. Turns out a LOT of folks have branded Osama a Hope-a-dope.
Oh, well, great minds think alike. I'm just glad that so many are seeing through his empty talk.

No comments: